Friday, August 30, 2013

Pro Wrestling Review: Summerslam 2013 Review part 1


 What's up everybody; I know that I didn't upload an article on this column last week but I did upload one on my other column TV Movie Review. The article was my Man of Steel Review. The link to that column is in my twitter profile: @ENC98. This article though is going to be part one of my 2013 Summerslam review.

Kickoff Show U.S. Title Dean Ambrose vs RVD

 I only saw the last bit of this match and from that it seemed like a solid match but I do wish that it wouldn't have been on the pre show. Especially since it turned out to be the Shield's only match on the ppv they would've looked more important if it hadn't been on the pre show.

Ring of Fire Match: Bray Wyatt vs Kane

 This match had a lot of people interested in it and I don't think it really delivered as much as people expected it to. For one the ring of fire concept didn't really work; while it was cool: the reason for it was so then nobody could interfere in the match and that didn't end up working because the other two Wyatt family members grabbed a blanket from the firemen at ringside and put it over the fire. Then they were able to get in. Like they said on Pro Wrestling Talk Radio last week (which you can listen to on blogtalkradio by the way) what's the point of ever having a ring of fire match again because it didn't do it's job the first time.

 I also thought that it wasn't a very good debut in the ring for Bray Wyatt. In theory it should have worked great; the fire summerslam, him facing Kane, but the match itself wasn't all that good. Kane was on offence most of time and I would've much rather had that the other way; I mean it's Bray Wyatt's debut let us see some of what he can do on offence. He did have some glimpses of interesting moves in it; one time he was Irish whipped into the corner and then he ran Kane down with a clothesline. From what we saw of him he seemed good in the ring but the match really could have benefited from having more of Bray on offence.

 From what I saw of him I did like him in the ring; he seems to have that uniqueness kind of like Dean Ambrose has. Just the way he executes moves, it's just different than normal and I really like when wrestlers do that.

 The match begins to end when Luke Harper and Rowens or whatever their names are get into the ring and attack Kane. The crowd was chanting for Undertaker and I actually started to wonder if he was gonna come out because it was a three on one attack on Kane. Then Bray delivers his finisher to Kane and wins the match.

 I really wish that wwe would have done a better job of making Bray Wyatt look good in the match especially since it was his debut. He got beat up the whole match by Kane and then the only way he was able to win was because his goons found a way to get in the ring. Instead of the match being about Harper and Rowen having to find a way into the ring, I wish that it would have been about Bray Wyatt having to find a way to defeat Kane.

 After the match though it got really good. The Wyatts took out Kane with the steel steps kind of like when they first debuted and then they dragged him away. I really liked that part; it just seemed cool and mysterious. We keep getting glimpses of greatness with the Wyatts and I'm becoming a big fan of them but I do wish that wwe would handle them better.

Cody Rhodes vs Damien Sandow

 This was a very entertaining match; we had lot's of good action and in the end Cody Rhodes won by delivering the beautiful disaster kick and then countering into the crossrhodes. They also had another match on raw the following night and Cody won that one as well.

 I think what they're doing here is setting up for Rhodes to say ok, I've beaten Sandow twice in a row; I should get to challenge for the MITB briefcase. Then since MITB is kind of a championship they can have a match for it at night of champions next month. Hopefully a ladder match.

 That does make sense but it just makes me nervous seeing Damien Sandow lose this much because we all know that wwe has a history of turning their money in the bank briefcase holders into jobbers. I think though that if Sandow gets the win in the end, when it's all said and done he'll come out looking ok. Then hopefully wwe will have another storyline to put him in because if they can keep him in good feuds and winning the majority of his matches then he'll be doing better than most of the other briefcase holders.

 Overall when I look at these two I see more potential with Damien Sandow than I do with Cody Rhodes. Don't get me wrong Rhodes has tons of talent and with that character that he had in 2011 and and the first half 2012 he was on the same level as Sandow but so far I'm not too sure about this face character. It just seems kind of generic but it's still early into it so hopefully he'll be able to break into his own with the character.

 As most of you may know I'm very high on Sandow:  he's my second favorite in wwe and I see tons of potential with him. He has ability like Daniel Bryan does to make any character work. For some people with that character it would come off as silly like fandango's gimmick but Sandow embraces the character and plays it perfectly. I really hope that they handle him properly because I see tons of great things in Damien Sandow's future.

Brie Bella vs Natalia

 I didn't watch this match because frankly I just didn't care to. If I want to see something good from the divas division then I'll go back and and re watch that awesome AJ Lee promo from raw this week.

WHC: Alberto Del Rio vs Christian

 This was a great match; I really wish that it would've had more storyline though going into it because that would've made it seem more important. The match itself though was excellent and these two actually had another match that I really really liked, maybe even one my favorite ones of all time in a ladder match two years ago at Extreme Rules. Even though this one was very good one of the main reasons that I liked that one better was because it had a ton storyline. It was Christian's big shot to finally get the WHC and everybody wanted him to win right after his best friend Edge had just retired but Del Rio wanted to get the title himself and it just worked really well.

 This match though just felt like hey it's two guys that want the world title now they're going to have a match, no big storyline and no emotion in it. Even though it suffered from that it was still very enjoyably and I'm looking forward to seeing more matches between these two guys.

 On a side note they did actually have a rematch on smackdown last week and I actually watch the show all the way through for the first time in weeks. I would recommend that you watch smackdown if your not already because even though a good portion of it is just rematches from raw they do have some pretty cool stuff like the steel cage match between Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett last week.

Dolph Ziggler/ Katelyn vs Big E/AJ

 I haven't seen this match yet because I watched Summerslam the night after it aired and I had to hurry through it because I think raw was about to come on. It's been about a week and a half now though since it aired and I still haven't seen it. That tells you about how much I cared about the match.

 I will try to see it at some point though because I actually do WANT to care about these wrestlers Ziggler, Big E, and AJ, Katelyn not as much but I do want to be a fan of the first three but this match just didn't seem important to me. Ziggler's face character just isn't working for me and even though I'm a big AJ fan we've seen her and Katelyn wrestle many times before so that was nothing new. Also mixed tag team matches don't seem important. It's probably because of how unimportant the divas division is right now; everyone except AJ of course. Like I said before Katelyn and AJ have had many matches before so I wasn't really interested in that and we've also seen Dolph Ziggler vs Big E before too.

 Like I said in my summerslam preview I'm guessing that the reason  they didn't do Ziggler vs Big E in a separate match was probably because they didn't want either of them to lose since they're both on new and shacking ground. Ziggler's still breaking into his face character and so far it's not going to well. Big E is also on shaky ground because he's breaking into being a singles wrestler and since wwe doesn't have a midcard I'm not sure how that's going to go. Still though I would have rather had a singles match between them because I think that would've seemed more important. Just do a finish like they did in their rematch on raw where AJ interfered so that Big E could win the match.

 Also that's another thing; I'm getting very tired of wwe giving away ppv matches on raw right before the ppv. They did that with tons of the summerslam matches and they've already started doing it with Night of Champions matches. It makes you not care about the ppv match because you know that unless it's the wwe title match they're probably going to have it again before and after the ppv.

No DQ Match: Brock Lesner vs CM Punk

 As we all know the feud going into this match has been nothing short of amazing. Everything has come together nearly perfectly and it's one of the best feuds we've had in years. I didn't know what to expect in the match though because the other few matches that Brock Lesner's been in since coming back to the wwe haven't really worked out as good as they should have. I didn't like the Triple H match last year at summerslam and I'm guessing that's one of the reason that this match didn't go on last just in case it failed like the one last year. The WM one I thought was the best out of the HHH and Lesner's trilogy and then the Extreme Rules one I wasn't too fond of. Brock's match with John Cena at Extreme Rules last year wasn't bad but it definitely wasn't as good as this. This match really felt like what we needed to get with Brock Lesner, this huge name and wwe's best heel character when  Paul Heyman is at his side. We really needed a huge success match and that's what we got.

 The match started off hot and never really slowed down. At certain point's I was thinking that Punk was going to win and I was just hoping that Brock didn't tap out. I was kind of thinking that with how brutal the match was CM Punk might not be able to survive another match so maybe it'd just be a one and done thing. But that wasn't to be because Brock Lesner won after CM Punk got himself somewhat preoccupied with Paul Heyman. This match told a great story as did the feud and it was action packed; so far unless wwe has like a 10 star match sometime before the year's over this match will be the 2013 match of the year. Heck I'll even go farther than that this was probably one of my favorite of all time. Everything came together right with Brock  playing this huge monster in CM Punk's way and with Paul Heyman at Lesner's side those two combined are the best heels in the world. Amazing stuff if you have not seen it I definitely recommend that you check it out, I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere. Also I take my hat off so to speak to wwe for delivering this this awesome content, great stuff.

 I hope you enjoyed this article; in my next one which will be out in the coming days I'll be talking about the Daniel Bryan vs John Cena match at Summerslam and the WWE title picture as well so stay tuned.

 You can tell me your thoughts on everything that I discussed in this article and/or check me out on twitter: @ENC98, Facebook: Enc Wwe, and Instagram: ENC98. Also on Pro Wrestling Review's very twitter: @PWReview, you can follow that account for information specifically related to this column such as when new articles come out etc. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment