Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pro Wrestling Review: Raw 7/22/13 and the #Ask Dixie Massacre



 Hello everyone today I want to talk about last weeks Raw 7/22/13 and a little bit about TNA and the Ask Dixie thing as well.

 As we all know Tna has been releasing a lot people lately so they decided to do and Q and A thing on twitter under the hashtag #AskDixie, well this turned out to be a disaster. A lot of the people on twitter have the mindset of most IWC fans and many IWC fans aren't too fond of Dixie Carter. They massacred her and tna, I mean seriously they didn't hold anything back. It made me feel sorry for Dixie Carter and tna but as someone who isn't involved in tna at it was also hilarious. I retweeted a link to some of the funniest ones but if you just type in the hashtage AskDixie on twitter you'll see that they're all hilarious.

 I think the point of this was so that Dixie Carter could assure everyone that tna was doing fine and that the recent releases didn't mean that tna was falling apart but it didn't work. It just made tna look worse. It was still very entertaining to read all of them though.

 Now on to wwe, recently wwe has been putting on some very good episodes of raw. Last summer it was the opposite and after Extreme Rules the product went way down and I think saying that John Cena vs John Larinitus was the main event of a ppv says enough. Like I said though this year after wrestlemania the product went down a little but it's now come way up during the summer and most all of episodes after Payback have been good.

 The show starts off with the contract signing between John Cena and Daniel Bryan, this was probably one of the first wwe contract signings not have a fight break out. The segment ok and did a good job establishing Daniel Bryan as the underdog going into summerslam. I'll talk more about that feud though when we get to the main event.

Sheamus vs Alberto Del Rio

 I actually didn't see this match but I heard it was very good. I'll have to find it on the internet sometime and watch.

 Throughout the middle portion of the episode we had some ok stuff and then some honestly absurd stuff.

 There was a match between Titus O'Neil and Christian and also a match between Dolph Ziggler and Darren Young. Both matches were ok but nothing too special. After Ziggler's match Big E came down to attack him but being quick Ziggler was able avoid the attack. I really hope that they give Christian something to do for summerslam, I'd love to see him challenge for a world title at some point but I'd also be ok with just a feud with someone. I hope that they do something with him and stop having him just floating around. One thing I'd that I'd like to see is maybe Christian vs RVD or Christian vs Wade Barrett.

 I've been saying for a while that the Prime Time Players need to turn face. I'm tired of seeing them jobbing to people on raw, I'd like to see them get somewhat of a push. Even if they do stay heels give them enough of a push that they can feud with the Usos.

 Another that match we had was Rob Van Dam vs Wade Barrett, I really enjoyed this match while it lasted and I'd love to see face off at summerslam. It's really sad to see Wade Barrett doing absolutely nothing right now, he was great in the nexus and on his own and I think that he could be a great top heel. They should at least put him in the smackdown main event. I hope they give him a feud for summerslam and like I said before I wouldn't mind seeing it be against RVD or Christian.

Now is when it got absurd

 This next part was one of my favorite parts of show for the same reason that you like watching a movie because you can laugh at how dumb it is. A lot of fans on the internet always joke about how Micheal Cole has never shut up about the wwe app since it came out. Tonight though he took that to a completely different level, he explained to us indepthly how to download the app. There was graphics on the screen of each step of the way to download it. He goes through every step too, first you go to app store on your device, then you type in wwe app. Now you click on the thing that says wwe app, next you click download you type in the password and it will download directly to your device! Thank you Micheal Cole I don't know what I would do without you.

 Since we're on the subject of absurd, we had a promo from Ryback, yup that definitely meets the criteria. He says something about not liking small people and being a bully, can we please get Ryback a manager? Seriously. I'm really getting tired of Ryback, they've pretty much made him a joke. He came out of the feud with John Cena not looking very good like most do which I talked about more in the John Cena destroying top heels article. Then they put him in a feud with Chris Jericho and had him stop matches because he couldn't continue. In that feud with Jericho they seriously destroyed his character and I don't know if they're mad at him backstage or what because that had to deliberate. It's not like it helped the feud any because it didn't help Jericho and no one really cared about the match at MITB.

 So Ryback is basically a joke now but later in the show he was in a main event segment. So one week he has to stop matches because his knee hurts and the next week he's supposed to be a big monster. I mean am I really supposed to think of him as a serious threat to anyone, no I'm not buying this. Then to top it all off he still doesn't have a manager, the only heel promo that I ever really liked from him was the first one he ever cut and that was pre recorded.

 At this point either put him someone like Paul Heyman and try to salvage his character or have him leave and come back as back as a face.

 Next we had Miz TV with the cast of total divas, I'm not even going talk about this segment because anybody who saw it knows that it was a disaster, as for that total divas after watching that clip, that show looks completely scripted and I after the clip and that terrible segment I aint watching it.

 How about instead of telling us that we should watch it, having dumb segments like that and telling us that we should care about a show with people who most of them are only on tv about twice a month doing pointless things how about in instead that they get a real divas division. Hire some divas that can actually wrestle so that Aj can have some competition and SHOW us that we should care about the people in the show.

 Wwe having bad divisions always comes back to hurt them in the end, it did with the tag team division when the shield who were on fire started a tag team feud and it pulled them down the card because no one cared about the tag teams because they hadn't been built up at all. Same with the divas division, wwe wants us to care about them enough to watch a show all about them but I doubt many people will because wwe's given us no reason to care about them for years. This segment was supposed to make me me want to watch total divas but it had the opposite effect on me.

 This is where the show got good.

CM Punk and Paul Heyman Segment

 This was a very very good segment, first CM Punk came out and cut a good promo about how he's not afraid of Brock Lesner, then Paul Heyman got on the titan tron and he and Punk cut promos back and forth. They called the match the Beast vs the Best but than Paul Heyman said that the Beast is the Best. I really loved this segment, Punk and Heyman are definitely two of the top mic workers in the world and they showed why.

 I was thinking to myself that they wouldn't be able to top the segment from last week with promos from Punk and Heyman and then the brawl between Punk and Lesner but I underestimated them. I'm really not sure which segment I liked better and that just goes to show the talent of Punk and Heyman.

 I've really been liking this feud between Brock, Punk, and Heyman, I really like how they  took it slow and didn't rush into it. The month between Payback and MITB was basically just build up for the actual feud with them teasing a break up between Punk and Heyman and then who could forget the epic attack on CM Punk the night after Payback by Brock Lesner. Then at money in the bank in an epic moment Heyman turned on Punk completely. This has so far been my favorite feud of summer, maybe even the whole year and I can't wait to see what they do with next.

Main Event Daniel Bryon Gauntlet match (Jack Swagger, Antonio Cesaro, and Ryback)

 This was truly an awesome main event. Sometimes in gauntlet matches the matches are just quick and not very good but Daniel Bryon had some great matches, especially with Antonio Cesaro. I'd love to see these two have another match over the wwe championship at some point.

 The first person was Jack Swagger, that was a pretty short match, Antonio Cesaro was the second and like I said before that was awesome, and then the third person was Ryback. A lot of people including me were expecting it to be the Big Show but for some reason it wasn't. The match was actually pretty good, most the best matches that Ryback's had have been against Daniel Bryan. It ends with Ryback throwing Bryan through a table outside of the ring and thus getting disqualified. Then Ryback goes to inflict more damage but John Cena comes out, fights off Ryback, and challenges him to a tables match.

 It then show Brad Maddox and Vince backstage and they announce Cena and Ryback's match for the next week. Vince also says that says that next week Bryan needs a chance to prove himself and I was thinking umm after these matches how much more proving does he have to do? Vince though announces Daniel Bryan vs Kane for the next week and the show goes off air with Bryan in the ring and the crowd chanting for him.

 The second half of this show was very very good and hopefully that awesome performance did a lot to convince people to get behind Daniel Bryan. Also it probably did a lot of good for Antonio Cesaro as well. Bryan really showed why he deserves the wwe championship and let me just say good job to to Daniel Bryan because that performance, he was awesome, you can always rely on him to put on a good match every week and entertain you.

 The Punk and Heyman segment was great was well and I'm really enjoying that feud. Even though the middle portion of the show didn't have anything extremely good the second half of the show was able to make up for it in my opinion and I'd give this show a good grade.



 You can tell me your thoughts on everything I discussed in this article and/or check me out on twitter: @ENC98, Facebook: Enc Wwe, and Instagram: ENC98. Also on Pro Wrestling Review's very twitter: @PWReview, you can follow that account for information specifically related to this column such as when new articles come out etc. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment